Category Archives for "Buying A Phone"
Essential information on buying a used cell phone.
Essential information on buying a used cell phone.
The iPhone is a prize possession. With hundreds of apps, internet compatible and exquisite features every one would like to own an iPhone. Price is a factor to be considered if you plan on Buying A Used iPhone. Moreover Apple is constantly introducing new versions of the iPhone making your investment in a handset seem outdated in less than a year. However, pre-used iPhone’s don’t need to be considered ‘outdated’ or ‘old’. You can always customize your pre-used iPhone with cases from Mobile Mob or other accessories! However, you always need to consider the following tips before investing in a used iPhone.
Always ask the validity and reputation of the place from where you are planning to Buy A Used iPhone. If you plan on purchasing from an individual you are not familiar with, the best thing would be to meet them at your carrier store. Have the associate working at the store test your phone before you decide to hand over your money. A reliable online source to Buy Used Cell Phones can be found at BestUsedCellPhones.com. All used cell phones, including the Apple iPhone, has been verified clean, tested and comes with a warranty.
Just because it is an iPhone does not mean that you will be able to activate it on your service. With the iPhone currently being such a hot commodity, there are a ton of iPhones reported lost, stolen or have a past due balance. Apple iPhone’s such as these will not be able to activate on your service and you now have an expensive paper weight.
Each iPhone has extraordinary features and has very delicate software. Fully test to make sure that the iPhone has full functionality and that the software has not been tampered with. A “Jailbroken” iPhone will usually not work correctly in the long run and will complicate your upgrade to the newest iOS when it becomes available. In the event that you are Buying A Used iPhone on the web, then your attention needs to be given according to the reliability of the auction website or seller, as you would not have the capacity to physically review the iPhone on offer. If there is a crack on the iPhone, consider offering less for it and then find a reliable iPhone repair shop locally.
The latest model is the iPhone 6 with memory capacity up to 128GB. Not all iPhones are created equal and should be considered based on what your needs are and what the phone has to offer. For example the iPhone 4 is upgradeable to iOS 7 which is a good thing however the hardware on the iPhone 4 does not support the new software very well. The iPhone will operate on iOS 7 however it is very laggy and plagued with bugs that at times renders the iPhone useless. When Buying A Used iPhone you must also make sure the Find My iPhone feature is removed form the device.
Diverse carriers have distinctive administrations and handset compatibility. Before Buying A Used iPhone, you ought to make certain that the carrier you are already using great accepts the new iPhone you are planning to purchase. Apple makes the iPhone for a wide range of carriers both domestically and internationally. The iPhone does not have any carrier logos making them all look the same. For example, when someone goes to Sell their iPhone, a Sprint iPhone will look exactly the same as a Verizon iPhone. If you are on Verizon and purchased a Sprint iPhone then you are out of luck as Verizon will not activate a Sprint iPhone on their service.
As a way to gain an edge with the mobile service provider wars, network providers are always on the fence when it comes to forming new ways to entice consumers. One of the new programs that network providers are offering is financing plans that allow consumers to upgrade their devices as soon as possible with a payment plan. Verizon offers such kind of program, and it is known as the Verizon Edge. In this article, we will cover what Verizon Edge is all about and figure out if it’s worth your time or hard earned money.
Verizon Edge is a financing option for new devices offered by Verizon for their customers. At the core, it is a means of helping customers upgrade their devices without having to wait for an upgrade. At the moment, the Verizon Edge program offers you the opportunity to upgrade your device in as little as 30 days from starting your service. With the Verizon Edge program, you will have a financing plan in addition to your rate plan that allows you to pay for your device spread across 24 months (added to your monthly network service bills). And, whenever you have a paid off at least 50% of the device, you have the option of upgrading thus perpetuating the financing. It is important to note that there is no discount or subsidized price when financing, you are paying full price.
First and foremost, there’s nothing really wrong with Verizon Edge’s program. This is a decent way to purchase a new device without the huge upfront cost. Plus, the ability to upgrade once you have paid off at least 75% of your current device is a bonus. According to Verizon, consumers can upgrade the device as little as six months. With new devices being release on what seems like a daily basis, upgrading more frequently must be a good thing. The real caveat here is that you have to pay at least 75% off of your current device before the program allows you to upgrade. This means, if have your current device is financed for $400, and you are paying $25/month, you will have to wait twelve months before you can upgrade; or, the program allows you to upgrade only after 30days and have paid off at least 75% of the device. This is can certainly be beneficial to someone who does not mind paying full price for a device while kept in a perpetual cycle of cell phone payments. A real problem occurs when you’re unsatisfied with your device purchased under the Verizon Edge program. This means, you have to wait to upgrade until you have paid 75% of the device.
If what you are after is the option to constantly upgrade your phone without the payment plan, then a good alternative is to get used Verizon phones. Buying quality Used Cell Phones has its advantages. For one, getting used Verizon Cell Phones For Sale means that you are not tied to any kind of program, and you will be able to change phones freely anytime. Also, getting a used Verizon phone usually means that you will be getting the best value for your money. Keep in mind that when it comes to value, the biggest value drop of mobile devices is the moment when you take it home and use it, removing its status as “new”. Combining these two factors together, you will be able to upgrade or change devices, whenever you want with the best bang for your buck. There are things to consider when buying a used cell phone, read our other article Used Cell Phones For Sale, Are They Worth It? for best practices. In Austin Texas if you are looking for a quality used Verizon cell phone you can give us a call at 512-432-5528.
The Verizon Edge program is a financing option that allows Verizon customers to upgrade sooner. It enables consumers to get the device now and pay for it later, spread across 24 months. The program also allows you to upgrade again once you have paid off 75% of the device and after 30 days. It sounds good deal on paper and in theory but may not be so in real life. A viable alternative is to consider Used Verizon Phones as it offers no ties and better bang for your buck.
These days with newer versions being released people change their cell phones frequently. There are a number of popular models available in the market and everyone wants the latest and greatest cell phone. As a result there is a great increase in the number of used cell phones for sale. These cell phones are available at online website like Best Used Cell Phones or at a local used cell phone store. Used cell phones for sale in Austin is easily found on Craigslist or if you are looking for a more secure place, no hassle alternative call 512-432-5528. The key to upgrading your cell phone without paying huge amounts of money is to buy a used cell phone.
There are many reasons you should consider buying a used cell phone. Some of these reasons are:
· Avoid Paying Full Price: The greatest benefit of buying a used phone is reduced cost. Many used cell phones for sale are more than half the price of brand new cell phones. This ensures that you are saving money even while buying a good quality phone.
· Save on Insurance Cost: The advantage of buying a used phone is that you are not bound by the limitations of a insurance plan. Purchasing insurance on your new cell phone is pitched as a good investment however if you add up the monthly cost and the deductible when you file a claim you are likely in for more than the cost of the phone used.
· Avoid Payment Plans: Recent developments by the major carriers like Verizon indicate a shift toward cell phone financing. This means that while you are not signing a 2 year contract you are entering into an agreement to make payments on your device for a specific time. Most payment plans have a 2 year term effectively locking you in for 2 years. While you are not in a contract to stay with your provider, if you plan to switch to another carrier the balance of the cell phone finance becomes due. A used cell phone for sale will eliminate the 2 year contract for the service and the payment plan for the device.
· No Long-Term Contract: Getting a used cell phone for sale ensures that you are not bound to any service provider by a long-term contract. Since there is no fear of losing money while terminating or modifying the contract prior to its closure, the ease of changing networks greatly increases. This is important if you are dissatisfied with your current plan or service and wish to change it. The used phone can be sold back to a used cell phone store for a cell phone compatible with the provider you want to go to. For some phones they can be unlocked and used on a different carrier.
· Environment Friendly: For those who are conscious about the environmental effects of technology, the practice of buying used cell phones for sale could be a great way to prevent environmental damage. As the demand for the latest and greatest increases there is a growing number of used cell phones for sale ready to be reused than trashed. This will, in turn, reduce the amount of waste put into out landfills by these older,perfectly functional devices. As a result, more people without the financial means to purchase new technology now have access to last years model at a reduced cost. Buying used phones is a smart way to ensure that the environment is protected from damage.
While it is true that there are a great many advantages of purchasing a used phone for sale, one must always be careful while making the transaction. If you plan on buying direct form an individual the following are a few things one must keep in mind while purchasing a used cell phone.
1) Check the Phone from All Angles: While this seems to a basic instruction, it is nonetheless an important one. It is crucial that you check the hardware for damages. A phone with deep gouges and cracks may work but will likely not last very long. Even though the used models are a cheaper option, one must always make sure that they are getting their money’s worth.
2) Making Sure the Screen is Functional: This is especially important in the case of smartphones. Phones that have a touch screen technology need to be checked for functionality of the screen. A good way to do this is to ensure that the screen isn’t in any way cracked. One must also check the edges of the screen to make sure that there is no “bleeding” from the LCD. Furthermore, while buying the phone one can ask the seller to provide a demonstration. A live demo is the best way to verify the phone’s functionality.
3) Checking for Liquid Damages: There is no end to fraudulent sales these days. While a phone may look and functional perfectly at first, it can also have liquid damages that will make it stop working in the long run. To check for liquid damages, pop open the battery and check the sticker on the edge. It should be white and not red or pink. If there is any discoloration that means the phone has been in contact with some form of moisture which increases the risk that it will not last very long. Be sure to check for liquid damage especially in the case of smartphones. Water damaged phones are tough for cell phone repair shops to fix since there is only a 50/50 chance the repair will work.
4) Check All the Buttons: For any phone to be in working condition the buttons have to be functional. Check the phone thoroughly to make sure that the buttons are in perfect condition and respond to being pressed. Make sure to also check the outer buttons such as the camera and volume.
5) Buy A Phone Ready To Activate: Many buyers are unaware that a perfectly functional phone can be an expensive paper weight. Phones reported lost or stolen are placed on a “Blacklist” and forbidden to be activated on the carrier it is intended for. Furthermore if the previous owner has a past due bill or unpaid balance on their service the carrier may also block the phone to be used on any other account other than the past due account it is currently on.
6) Check the Seller’s Credibility: If possible make sure that the phone you are buying is from a legitimate source. The seller should be honest and answer all your questions before the sale is made. If you plan to buy form a reseller then make sure that you are buying a device that comes with a warranty period and can be replaced if it stops working or will not activate. However, one must keep in mind that the warranty period will not be the same as that of a brand new phone.
Used cell phones for sale are a great option for those who wish to save money. The market for used cell phones has been rising steadily. Not only are cell phone important to people these days but it has become an integral part of almost everyone’s life. However, not everyone can afford a cell phone. While there are many options to choose from in today’s market, the prices have also been increasing at a sure pace. Used cell phones for sale in Austin TX are easily found by calling 512-432-5528 or searching online at Best Used Cell Phones. Buying from a business that stands behind your purchase will ensure you are getting a quality product.
How to Buy a Used Cellphone on Craigslist (Part 1)
In today’s day and age where online purchases are the norm, buying a used cell phone on Craigslist can be a lifesaver. When you encounter the dreaded toilet dunk for instance and you’re still a long way off from finishing your contract, there’s nothing left to do but to turn to Craigslist or other local ads in hopes of finding an inexpensive but perfectly usable phone. The truth is though, while buying items on Craigslist can be frugally addictive when you score great deals, it can also be a hit or miss.
If you take on this task uninformed, you’re bound to encounter duds and scams and may be left exposed to be taken advantage of. That’s why it pays to do your research first and go through a checklist when you attempt to buy a used cell phone (or any other item) on Craigslist.
The purpose of this article is to offer a basic buying guide when searching Where To Buy Used Cell Phones on Craigslist. Please note however, that this is not a complete guide as we will follow up with more articles to provide useful tips and best practices.
Checking the merchandise
There are several key points to consider when purchasing a phone off Craigslist. Here are some of them:
Before you can actually get to check the cell phone, you must get the seller to agree to a meet up. Arranging the meeting in a public area with access to a power outlet should be a priority when agreeing upon a meeting place. Ideally, you should aim to set the meet up at your carrier store where you have the advantage. It also doesn’t hurt to remind the seller to bring the charger with him so you can test the phone’s charging capability and to charge the unit if it is dead.
As soon as you meet the seller, do not give up your hard earned cash without first holding the phone and closely examining it. Before you even turn it on and make your tests, it’s important to take note of its cosmetic condition. Inspect the phone from all angles and look for any telltale signs of excessive damage or that the phone has been dropped more than a few times. Check the screen as well to make sure there are no cracks. Scratches on the screen are tolerable (and should be considered in the price negotiation later on), but cracks affect the LCD.
If there are clear indications of any of the conditions described, or if it looks as though the device has been dragged from behind a car, then this may not be a good choice for you. Chances are, it will either not work or fail within a few weeks. Or even if it does work, who wants a cellphone that shows so much of its wear and tear?
After your initial inspection, the most crucial task in this process when you buy a used cell phone on Craigslist is to make sure that the device works properly. To achieve this, you must run a series of tests that will give you a better insight on the device’s overall condition.
Make sure you test the phone thoroughly as if you were using it under normal circumstances. Test all of the buttons, keypad, display, touch responsiveness (if it’s a touch screen), earpiece, mic, speaker phone, slide function (if any), and all ports (charge, audio, and others). Basically, push any physical button present and just see if it works. A confident seller would not have any issue with you performing all of these tests. In fact, you can use this time to gauge the seller’s reaction to your testing to sense if there is anything about the phone that remains unsaid.
Once all of the physical tests are complete, you should next check for water damage. This is particularly important because a phone can look good and work well even if it has been damaged by moisture or liquid.
To check for liquid damage, make sure that the moisture wick on the phone and battery are not red or pink. The normal color of the moisture wick that has not been in contact with moisture is white or white with a colored pattern. When the moisture wick comes in contact with water or heavy moisture in the air, it will turn completely red or a pinkish red color. If it is red or pink, then the phone has been in contact with some sort of moisture and this will increase the risk that the phone will have an issue down the road.
On most phones, the moisture wick is usually found on the back of the phone under the battery, and another one can be found on the battery itself. For the Apple iPhone,
there are various moisture wicks although there are only 2 you can actually check without taking the phone apart. There is one in the headphone jack and another in the charge port. Checking the moisture wick is something commonly overlooked but if you come across a red indicator, you should consider not buying the phone at all or making a reduction in your buying offer.
Checking for moisture or water damage is critical because when a phone gets wet then reused, corrosion and rust builds up on the circuit boards inside the phone. This could cause a short circuit to the phone after some time, making it very difficult, perhaps even impossible, to repair.
That’s why at our cell phone store in Austin, Texas, we have a standing policy that if a phone’s indicator is red we will not resell it and it will automatically either be recycled or used for parts that are salvageable. Although we have seen some customers continue using their phones that have taken a quick dive with no problems at all, in my opinion (based on experience) it is still a huge gamble and we will not take that chance with our customers who expect a quality product.
Weighing the risks
If the phone you are planning to buy on Craigslist passes all of the checks and tests we have suggested, then it is safe to say you have a functional phone that should work flawlessly for quite some time. Of course, the fact remains that it is a device that has been previously used so there really are no guarantees. What’s left is for you to measure your appetite for risk, factor in the buying price which is usually negotiable, and then decide for yourself if you’ve gotten a fair deal for a used cellphone.
In this article, we covered the possible cosmetic, functionality, and water damage issues that you may encounter when getting a second-hand cellphone. However, there is also another aspect when you buy a used cell phone on Craigslist that is equally important which we will delve deep into in our follow up article. We will also discuss how every carrier is a little different on how they manage this issue and how this can mean the difference between you buying your next cell phone or merely an expensive paper weight. For example if you are searching for a Sprint Replacement Phone you will want to make sure it will activate on your Sprint service.
In the meantime, feel free to leave a comment below if you some feedback for us or if you have any questions on how to buy a used cell phone on Craigslist. You can also view our page to Buy Used Cell Phones in Austin TX.
Allow an introduction to The Austin Cell Phone. Can’t quite decide between an iPhone and an Android device? Still battling with the decision on repairing or placing? Looking for the best cell phone that fits your lifestyle? If finding the cell phone that will give you the best bang for your buck is getting to be a bit too complicated, you’ve definitely come to the right place…
We aim to be your go-to resource for the latest and most accurate information on buying, selling or repairing your cell phone in Austin Texas. In particular, our goal and mission is to support our local Austin cell phone business and have it thrive while giving back to the Austin community.
But whether you’re from Austin or elsewhere in the world, you’ll be sure to find our posts and articles useful in your search for all things cell phone related, or in dealing with your cell phone repairs.
While cell phones and smart devices were made to make our lives easier, choosing the right one has gotten to be downright confusing. Handsets from different manufacturers come with multiple screen sizes, run on different operating systems, and are loaded with various features. This has made the smart phone arena virtually an endless maze of options.
Some of the more tech-savvy consumers are able to adapt to the ever-changing digital landscape, but many are barely treading water and some are even left pounding their heads against a wall in frustration.
But why be frustrated when you can be enlightened? With the right information in your hands, it’s easier to sort through the capabilities of each cell phone, picking out the features that work for you and those that don’t. Let us help you narrow down your options.
My name is Alfonso, the moving force behind TheAustinCellPhone.com, and I would like to be your cell phone guy. I am by no means a certified expert with a technical degree under my belt. What I am though, is a die-hard technology enthusiast and a quick learner. I would be more than happy to help you find the answers and the information you need.
Here’s what TheAustinCellPhone.com can do to help ensure you get the best value for your money when it comes to buying, selling or repairing cell phones in Austin:
So whether you’re on the lookout for a new cell phone, need a screen replaced, or even just want to upgrade to the latest Android version or have an iPhone unlocked, we can take care of you.
Now with the hundreds, perhaps thousands of other websites offering cell phone reviews and tips, why come to TheAustinCellPhone.com?
It’s quite simple, really. It’s because more than just providing reliable information through our articles and blog posts, we are offering a venue where we can engage the awesome, tech savvy Austin community. We want to take care of all your cell phone needs, and at the same time, support the Austin economy by encouraging the local community to reuse, recycle, and keep phones out of our landfills.
So what therefore makes us different is our passion – in helping consumers make informed decisions, in finding a solution to your every cell phone need, and in supporting our local Austin cell phone business.